Search...

Google

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Why a "BLOG"?

Ok, I wanted to clarify the "purpose" of my blog.
I obviously needed an outlet...(see: Need an Outlet), but I am also struggling to find my "place" in the business world.

Since having lost the weight, I have come to understand myself better. I have a better self-image, more self-esteem, and REAL self-respect. My parents gave me values and now I really appreciate how rare they are.

So, how do I fine tune? How do I manage a home, care for my children, support my spouse, make time for self and contribute financially?
This "BLOG" idea is really just a concept. I am curious if it is an effective tool to "marketing" myself.

I have this part-time job at Costco. It is a Saturday, Sunday job, soliciting leads for carpeting and window treatments. At first, it was very intimidating. I enjoyed the "escape" from home, was comfortable talking to people, but had no idea what skills were involved to being a GOOD salesperson. Nobody likes a pushy salesperson, I personally hate handbilling, and bottom line: IF I'M NOT LOOKING TO BUY THE PRODUCT NO PERSUASION IS GOING TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE. I had to really evaluate my approach. First, I wanted to have fun, or at least appear that I am having fun. I figured, no one will want to "talk" to me if I look as though I am in pain, right? Second, I want to be knowledgeable. I would hate for someone to be interested and not even have the right answers to give them. And third, I wanted to talk to people. BIG PEOPLE! I spend most of my days being mommy and really wanted to talk about big people stuff.

I have met some pretty neat people. If you are open to meeting others and they are open to talking, then it just works out. After engaging in conversation, exchanging names and plugging the reason I am standing in their way, I gain a more clear perspective about people in my neighborhood. Everyone has a different story, and yet the message is the same: WE ALL NEED THE HUMAN CONNECTION IN OUR LIVES. Some more than others, and some give more information than others. There are even people who just really love to talk.
My question is, "How can I integrate this as a service?" The people who impress me the most are those who are still grounded and are business owners. They defeat the odds and are able to create their own success story. There is something just a little different about them. They realize the importance of personal relations to improve commerce. They love to pass on their information, their business, their services....knowing that word of mouth is much more valuable than paid advertisement.

I have started a collection of business cards, all with a story behind them. Each one represents the person behind the inspiration. I keep a notebook and "log" the names of the neat and interesting people that I meet. Imagine the opportunity I have, the hundreds of people that I see, that see me. So now, the question: "How may I serve you?" I am comfortable passing business your way. How might this benefit you? Your business? Is this something that a successful business or any business would value?

If you notice, I do have a few live links here in the right column of my blog. These are people I believe in. I believe in their goal, their talent. I have used or can't wait until I can afford their services.
I would love to "Highlight" a business each week. It could be a way of "introducing" the creator behind the creation. Like developing a story that promotes people and the business they believe in. Not to mention, this would give me an organized way of cataloging all the information to clear out my head! LOL!

Let me know what you think!